(makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1/2 lb. frozen strawberries, thawed with juices
- 1 1/2 Tbspn (17 gr) + 3/4 cup (150 gr) sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups (200 gr) AP flour
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 2 tspn baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
1. Combine thawed strawberries (with juices) and 1 1/2 Tbspn sugar in a small saucepan. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the saucepan. Cook and simmer until the strawberries have reduced by a half, leaving about 3/4 cup. Puree in a food processor and let cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare and line 12 cupcake molds.
3. Whisk to combine the flour, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the egg whites and whole milk. Set aside.
5. Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Gradually add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and continue beating.
6. Add the wet and dry ingredients in two additions, alternating between dry and wet. Beat until combined.
7. Divide the batter between the cupcake molds, filling each mold to 3/4 full.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes come out cleanly. Remove from the oven and let cool completely on a wire rack.
for cinnamon-cream cheese frosting:4 Tbspn (1/2 stick) butter, at room temperature
1/2 tspn vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups (300 gr) powdered sugar, sifted
1 tspn ground cinnamon
8 oz. (113 gr) cream cheese, cold
1. Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix until combined.
2. Gradually beat in the sifted powdered sugar and cinnamon.
3. Gradually add small chunks of the cold cream cheese, beating well after each addition.
4. Frost cupcakes immediately. Top with sprinkles, if desired.