(yields: 22-24 regular size)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup oil (canola or vegetable)
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- juice and zest from 1 lemon.
- In a bowl mix together all the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt) and zest.
- In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients (water, oil, vanilla extract, vinegar and lemon juice). Slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined and no lumps are left in the batter.
- Pour batter (this will be very wet batter) into lined baking cups, 2/3 full. Bake at 350 F for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. *Optional- add a few drops of red food coloring to the batter to make it pink!
- 2-3 sticks of softened butter
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar,
- juice from 1/2 lemon (OR 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract) and a few drops of red food coloring
- With an electric mixer, beat the softened butter until creamy.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar, mixing and scrapping down the sides of the bowl as you go until you reach your desired sweetness.
- Add in juice (or extract) and food coloring and mix until frosting... well... looks like frosting.
- Pipe it onto cooled cupcakes and enjoy!