(yields: about 12 muffins)
- 1/5 cup whole flaxseeds
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Grind flaxseeds in a spice mill (such as a clean coffee grinder) or dry blender. Transfer to a large bowl. Add whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; whisk to blend. Whisk eggs and maple syrup in a medium bowl until smooth. Add buttermilk, oil, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; whisk until blended.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula just until moistened. Fold in blueberries. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with sugar.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
Per muffin : 208 Calories; 8 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 36 mg Cholesterol; 31 g Carbohydrates; 6 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 184 mg Sodium; 149 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Inspired By:Eating Well